18 May 2013

ferns in my spring garden

Although I seem to complain about my mostly-shaded exposure, I do appreciate it when considering all the beautiful plants that would not survive in baking hot full sun.  Ferns are a must for any shaded woodland garden, and they provide that tropical rainforest feeling that I always seem to be chasing.  They are perfect companions for japanese maples, rhodos, hostas and hellebores, all of which I have plenty!  I seem to constantly be adding more and more ferns to my wishlist.  Evergreen or deciduous, green, red, or purple, black stems or fuzzy rachis, delicate fronds or thick bracts, they truly are indispensable.  Here are some of my favorites as they look today in my garden...

Dryopteris erythrosora - Autumn Fern

Cyrtomium fortunei - Japanese Holly Fern

Dryopteris pycnopteroides - Japanese Wood Fern

Dryopteris sieboldii - Siebold's Wood Fern

Polystichum munitum - Western Sword Fern

Athryium niponicum - Japanese Painted Fern

Adiantum aleuticum - Western Maidenhair Fern 
Asplenium scolopendrium - Hart's Tongue Fern

Blechnum spicant - Deer Fern

Matteuccia struthiopteris - Ostrich Fern

Adiantum hispidulum - Rough Maidenhair Fern

Pteris cretica - Ribbon Fern


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful fern photos Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I had no idea there were so many unusual fern like that! Beautiful! Last year we transplanted some ostrich fern crowns from the wild into our garden. Only two out of four survived into this year because I don't think we watered them enough last summer :(
    Oh, and I am loving your blog banner, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ostrich ferns will slowly spread via underground runners, so I wouldn't worry about a couple of them dying! I started with only one, and now I have about seven. In some areas they can be really invasive, but I guess they'd have to be to grow in the wild like they do! Thanks, Kris, re: the banner, it was fun to do!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...