13 September 2012

modern adirondack


 You heard me degrade those plastic Adirondack style chairs around our new firepit a few posts ago, when I mentioned I had a new little project up my sleeve.  I have been desperately seeking out a more modern take on the classic comfortable solid wood Adirondack- but most of my options would have set me back $1200+ for four chairs.

So I found a few photos here and there and we designed our own, for only about $150 total for cedar, sandpaper, and stain.  It probably took about 3 hours per chair of cutting, drilling, assembling, sanding, and staining.  Plus a little extra time for the whole designing process.  I can't take credit for any of this except for the initial brainstorming.  I was way too busy in the garden to spare any time for building these. ;)


Not sure why it took me so long to post about these beauties, considering we've been enjoying them for at least a month now.  They are pretty comfy to sit in as is, but I think some custom cushions with outdoor fabric would really finish them off and make them super comfortable.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, those look great! Did you reproduce an existing design, or come up with something new? Fantastic workmanship, a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! The design that inspired these originally was here:

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/68064269/modern-adirondack-chair-tigerwood

      But at $600 a pop, I needed to find an alternative. We used cedar instead of tigerwood as in the photo, reduced the width substantially, and reduced the angle of the seat a little as well.

      Delete
    2. you guys did a great job making them your own, and figuring out all the angles, etc. I love them.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I love your sitting area too! Jealous....I sure miss it there : (

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...