18 September 2012

imposter

Pacific Chorus Tree Frog on a recently acquired Rhododendron (the frog was a sign-- I had to buy it!)

 My sister said to me the other day that I really needed to tone down on the plant talk on my blog.  She said it's aging me and that I would get more readers if I posted some more on my personal life- specifically, juicy stuff like fights with my partner.  (Partner?  No, I'm not a lesbian, although I have absolutely nothing against them and in fact encourage whichever sexual preference one has.  Boyfriend?  After almost 10 years it just doesn't have the same ring to it.  Better half?  I beg to differ.  Let's stick with partner, shall we?)  Well, for starters, although I follow many blogs in which the authors share much of their personal lives, I'm not interested in sharing that much with the world.  I like to post about what I'm interested in, and just hope that some other randoms who have the same interests as me enjoy reading these posts.  If not, I'm okay with that, because another reason that I have a blog is to journalize my own interests and improvements, in things like house renovations, garden projects, and bird photography.

blooming Sempervivum

And another thing has occurred to me after reading my last few posts--I might actually sound like I know what I'm doing when it comes to gardening...which is complete and utter nonsense!  Maybe I'm good at sounding like I know what the heck I'm talking about, but in reality it's all new to me.  I do read a LOT of gardening magazines and books and blogs, and spend a LOT of time in nurseries talking to other backyard gardeners and nursery owners.  I ask family, friends, neighbors, pro landscapers, and co-workers a ton of questions.  And the vast majority is trial and error.  Some things work, and some don't.  That's the hardest part of gardening at your first home.  You buy the wrong plants for the wrong places and they do great for the first couple weeks when they are fresh home from the perfectly fertilized and irrigated nurseries, and then they fail.  Realistically,  failures outweigh the successes in my garden.  Often times just moving the plant to a better location can fix this but then you can run into the problem of the colors and foliage not combining well with the other existing plants.  This all just takes time and it is incredible to see the improvements year after year and what a little more knowledge can do for your landscape.  Any amateur gardener can attest to this.  When neighbors ask to get a garden tour I am always apprehensive because "it's not finished" or "there's better color in the spring" or "the lawn edges aren't sharp enough".  I think that some people expect to see this amazing flawless jungle when they come over to my house, and I'm pretty sure I am letting these people down.  Sorry about that.  It's important (for me, at least) to learn that it is not about the perfectly planned and finished border--it's the journey with the worms, backaches, bruises, dirty fingernails, and blistered hands that is really the part to treasure. 

Anyways, that's about as personal of a post that you're going to see.  And besides, the bf and I never fight, so there would be nothing "interesting" to write about!  ;)  Thanks for reading....

The latest haul.  Actually, that's a lie.  This is about 3 hauls ago.  Some lovely hellebores, hakonechloa, hostas, ferns, toad lilies.

2 comments:

  1. Love the sempervivum photo. What lens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe, but taken with my iPhone!!!!! The camera on the 4S takes some pretty sharp photos. It will have to do until I can afford a decent macro lens for the Canon.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...