22 November 2011

how to catch a mouse


Humanely, that is.

I have a friend who just bought a house which is apparently inhabited by a few critters in the basement.  We had this same problem when we first moved into our century-old house a few years ago, but have since solved this by sealing up the foundation and insulating with spray foam.  I absolutely couldn't stand the sight of any more mouse traps in my crawlspace, so I used this little technique a few times to say the least!

What you need:

  • toilet paper roll
  • peanut butter
  • large garbage can

The rest is pretty much self-explanatory.

Spread some peanut butter into one end of a toilet paper roll.

Carefully balance on a ledge with the garbage can underneath.

When the mouse crawls through to get the peanut butter, the roll will fall into the garbage can.

Sometimes his friends will even join him-- a couple times I had 3 or 4 at one time.

Seriously how can anyone hate these critters?  So cute.  Rats?  Different story...

Then all you have to do is relocate them.  I walked them down into our forest and across the creek.  Not to say I wasn't repeatedly catching the same three mice every day, but at least I could sleep at night.  You can spray paint their tails if you're worried about this and want to see if you are in fact providing little pinky and the brain a free meal every day.  Or if you just have way too much time on your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...