9 November 2011

bulb bonanza


I meant to write this post a few weeks back but just haven't found the time.  Let's call it 'end-of-summer-garden-refresher'.  I planted about a hundred tulip bulbs in the back garden in front of the newly-transplanted Japanese Maple.  I bought these guys after the bulbs course I took last month.  Key word here is foolproof.  If you're a little unsure of color combos (as am I), it helps to just cheat and buy the pre-packaged combinations sometimes.  Also new to me this year is bonemeal.  I have used it a little in the past, but learned at this course that it helps the bulb's root system immensely and makes for a stronger and healthier flower.  Just sprinkle a little in the ground before you place your bulbs. 






I planted these Fritillaria bulbs in a front garden border in front of a row of Hellebores.  They are very expensive and very small but i'm hoping the look will be worth it come Spring!



Then I ripped out some tired looking summer annuals from their pots and replaced them with some pansies and grasses for a little fall colour.




Also tried to fill in a few tired looking spots on the back lawn.  This was a few weeks ago and all the rain we've been having has helped new grass to almost completely grow back over the compost mix. 



That's all for now.  Gotta get back to raking thousands of maple leaves from the driveway.  Doesn't it feel like just yesterday that we were doing fall cleanup?  Still trying to grasp the fact that summer has ended, not to mention that Christmas is in full force in the stores already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...